There are multiple benefits of having your own website. As a Digital Marketing professional, it is important to know how a website can be created and deployed in a short period of time. For business owners (be it large of small), having a website brings in multiple benefits. Many business owners look for digital marketers who understand the basics of creating a website. In this post, we’ll discuss the basics of WordPress, which will allow you to create your own website in less than 5 minutes. It is the World’s most used and popular content management system.
What is WordPress?
- To get started, you need to know what is WordPress.
- WordPress is an online, open source website creation tool written in PHP.
- Easiest and most powerful blogging and website content management system (or CMS) in existence today.
- WordPress is much more just a blogging tool.
- Highly flexible content management system (CMS) that enables you to build and manage your own website using just your web browser.
Who uses WordPress?
Businesses small and large have chosen WordPress to build and manage their online presence. Many famous blogs, news outlets, music sites, Fortune 500 companies and celebrities are using WordPress.
News outlets – The New York Times’ blogs CNN’s on-air personality blogs
Snapshots of Websites using WordPress
The Walt Disney Company on WordPress
Sony Music on WordPress
Katy Perry on WordPress
Mozilla Blog on WordPress
How does it work?
- Websites have been created in programming languages like HTML, PHP, and CSS to format text, create page layouts, display images etc.
- Web browser then reads this code, interpreting those tags to render and display the content of a particular web page.
- You can install the WordPress software on your own web server in about 5 minutes.
- Once installed, you’ll log into your site using your favorite web browser, and then use a simple editor to create web pages — without having to learn how to code.
Why is WordPress a great choice?
- WordPress is Open Source. That means that there are thousands of people all around the world who are constantly working to improve WordPress.
- Incredibly flexible and extensible. There are thousands of plugins and themes that enable you to easily change the entire look of your website
- It’s easy to use and learn. You don’t need to hire a web designer
- Strong developer community. It’s easy to find support or hire someone to help you
- SEO-friendly. It includes everything you need to ensure that your content is optimized for search engines.
- You are in complete control. You can easily move in or move out(import/export from/to other platforms)
What are the other alternatives to WordPress?
WordPress has other alternative systems such as Drupal and Joomla. Following is quick comparison